• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Can everyone here agree that aiming using the analog sticks was a pain?

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Resident Evil: Code Veronica. You have to use a first person perspective sniper rifle to shoot the exposed heart at a boss battle. Never have I encountered so much frustration. Compared to a mouse, aiming with analog sticks are hell, as they are very inaccurate, very sensitive, and incredibly hard to aim in the first place. What do you guys think of it?

thefratman

Reaction score
I personally never had a problem with analog stick aiming.

Though I've never played Code Veronica so maybe that's a very particular case, in which case I don't blame you.

Steamroller

Reaction score
My only issue with analog sticks was with the Nintendo 64 controller one. It gets worn out pretty easily by use. I bought several N64 controllers during the early 3D games generation.

SunnysideUP

Reaction score
I have never been able to shoot straight with playstation analog sticks. Never. This was the reason I ditched games like Hitman back then, or just gave my brother the controller and watched him play through.
The nintendo analog stick was even worse! Especially for games that you needed your fingers to go on all the buttons like Turok 2...

lexinonomous

Reaction score
I seriously thought that I was the only person that felt this way. I used to be completely frustrated while playing console games. I do not like analog sticks at all. One of the main reasons I found PC games better was due to having more control over my characters while playing. I feel like I have way more control over the aim when playing any sort of shooting games. With the analog sticks on console, my fingers will easily slip and I no longer have a straight shot.

AnonLu

Reaction score
Even though I much prefer a keyboard and mouse, as opposed to a controller for shooters, I'm not going to act like the keyboard and mouse is the best for everybody, or it's the best for every game or genre. We need controllers too.

Casiox

Reaction score
I actually thought that I was the only one who thought the same thing!

Lord, aiming with a controller is the hardest thing for me, I do not really play with consoles, but,when I do, I really get frustrated with the aiming itself, I have not managed to find a way to control the aiming because it seems to be too hard for me, I think that it's due to lack of practice, for real, I have to start playing again and see if I can control my thumbs.

Dowls

Reaction score
I can't say I've had a problem with returning back to playing console. I took a big step away from console once the next-generation came out (PS4/Xbox one) until now, I have been playing Counter-strike:Global offensive and even played competitively in said game however this winter I bought myself a PS4 and Call of duty. It's fair to say that most modern FPS, RPG or any game in fact tends to have a reasonable auto-aim system and providing you're comfortable with the sensitivity you have chosen it should not be that hard.

However I must add that games without auto-aim systems including Call of duty black ops 3 when using snipers, I do find it terribly hard.

Damien

Reaction score
I personally never had a problem with analog stick aiming.

I never had problems with it either, I hate using buttons if that's the argument. I have to have smooth aiming, and that's the was it feels when I use the analog. Plus using both at the same time make aiming more precise. I never heard anyone say that before. I think the OP need more practice.

jahanzeb ali qureshi

Reaction score
In our school days, I use to play games with the analog controllers. It was fun to play with joysticks. I use to play Street Fighter 2 game with the analog stick as it was easy to do special moves in it.

Sino989

Reaction score
I agree with you. Some games have horrible sensitivity while aiming down sights and sometimes even when you're not even aiming down sights and it can be very frustrating especially if it's an online game and you aren't use to the sensitivity.

Ash

Reaction score
I've never really had any problems with the Xbox 360 analog sticks or the PlayStation 4 analog sticks. I think a lot of time have been put into designing them and producing them in a way that stops people's thumbs from hurting even after a long time of gaming. Having comfortable analog sticks mean that they are much easier to use while gaming. I've never had problems with aiming either but then I have never played the specific game that you have mentioned. Even with games with Rainbow Six where aim is extremely important, I have never had any problems.

Dhanidhamy

Reaction score
Personally I've always sticked to using button, am too used to it but have tried some few games using stick, just practice more you will get used to it in no time.

Denis_P

Reaction score
I used to be quite good at aiming with analog sticks actually. I would play first person shooters such as Call of Duty pretty competitively, and after enough years of playing I had perfect aim and twitch shooting pretty much down. I'd be able to snap to someone's head in a split second. Then I got a gaming computer and never went back. I could instantly see that keyboard and mouse were vastly superior for shooting games. The skill level attainted from years of muscle memory training with a controller was attainable in just weeks with a mouse and keyboard.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
I agree this is why I prefer my FPS games on PC. It's a huge pain to aim using the analog sticks for me, although I don't think we would have a better choice when playing on consoles. I don't see any chance of Sony releasing a rifle controller just like the guitar controller in guitar hero back then. Plus, that would be such a pain to use for longer periods of time compared to gamepad gaming.

Lexi

Reaction score
I think it depends on what you're used to. When my friend had an Xbox 360 I had a pretty decent aim. But then I started gaming on my PC and got used to that. When I went back to play on the 360 it was a real pain. It was so bad to keep my aim straight. I really think it depends on how long you've been playing with a certain control.

Gladdy

Reaction score
I am absolutely horrible when it comes to aiming with the analog stick... I remember playing Call of Duty Ghosts on my Xbox 360 and holy... it was like watching my grandmother trying to aim :D I was shocked how much of the actual aim it requires even though you have slight aim assist and so on. Compared to computer games it's much, much harder. Even in the non-FPS games, I remember a part in the Dead Space game where you had to aim to pass a stage and I failed over 15 times. Don't mock.

What about those rubber thingies you can put on your analog stick? I can't remember the name but they're supposed to help.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
I don't have any problems aiming with a controller and when I was in my 20's I was in a COD clan and we would also go into rooms and shut people down. We would have the map on lockdown 24/7. I think if you gave the controller a chance (6+months) you would adapt from KB & Mouse and you would be very comfortable with the controls.

overcast

Reaction score
I think they were designed with that time's demand in mind. And with VR and other joystick part coming up these days. I don't think they are going to last long. Though some people may find use of that in the flight simulator type of games. It'd be fun to see how that works out though. I am guessing some games are moving to modern solutions.

Westbay

Reaction score
This is true but not in all games, it varies in different games when I play soccer with my analog stick it seems to work pretty well but on adventure games such as call of duty it becomes hard, do you know how painful it is getting shot when you are busy trying to put the target cursor on an enemy shooter? It's very annoying I think it's a gaming issue not just the controllers.