• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Best Forum Software

Best Forum Software

• vBulletin

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Invision Power Board (IPB)

• XenForo

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • PhpBB

• ZetaBoards

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • SMF

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MyBB

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

Hidden308

Reaction score
What forum software is your favorite and why?

I think Xenforo is the best.

Raderyx

Reaction score
I think XenForo is really good too. I personally prefer the SEO of XenForo than IPB. It uses a lot of jQuery and all the themes looks REAL nice. vB themes are all kind of generic so I don't like it, even with the huge amounts of mods. The bad thing about XenForo is that it's really new and barely any mods have been created. But I believe it's going to be a really big forum software in the future if they start to progress faster.

Hidden308

Reaction score
I love Xenforo! The best part honestly to me is the ACP I love how easy and simple the ACP is compared to other forum software ACPs. I also love how easily it is to customize I would say customization in Xenforo is easier than any other forum software I have ever used. I pretty much used all the best ones. Like MyBB, phpBB, IPB, and so on. I would say Xenforo tops them when it comes to customization.

Hotspot

Reaction score
I prefer Zetaboards, I have only used Proboards, Invisionfree, PHP and Vanilla in the past as an admin. So I cannot say for the others from an admin perspective.
I like how everything fits great with zetaboards for me. I do think that Vbulletin and Xeneforo are good too though.

Hidden308

Reaction score
I don't like Zetaboards. All of the designs are the same and it costs a LOT of money to get ads and the brand taken off of it.

Hotspot

Reaction score
The designs are the same? How so? =/
Lot's of people make cool themes for free, they all vary.

Hidden308

Reaction score
They all have the "round" look at the top and bottom. I just seem similarities.

TheNova

Reaction score
You can't really pit paid forum software against free forum software as many of the paid software will almost certainly have better features. Although, without considering money, I think MyBB is the best. It's easy to install, configure, modify and use.

Hidden308

Reaction score
You can't really pit paid forum software against free forum software as many of the paid software will almost certainly have better features. Although, without considering money, I think MyBB is the best. It's easy to install, configure, modify and use.
I agree with this, but a LOT of people seem to think all this free software is better, yet they've never used the paid software.

Hidden308

Reaction score

I can tell you that don't even bother paying for IPB it is pretty much the same as myBB. I used to have a IPB license (until I sold it to a friend) and I didn't really find anything... different between the both.

Hidden308

Reaction score
I find them completely different. I really like IPBs UI and ACP much more than MyBB. The themes are also Much better.

NecroWolf

Reaction score
I've only used Suddenlaunch and phpBB so I voted for phpBB as Suddenlaunch is badly outdated at this point and has been replaced by ProBoards. I must admit the styles I use for my forum require manual modifications every time I add a mod, but other than that it's been pretty good. But as I said I can't compare it to the others as I haven't used them.

Jordan

Founder
Senior Admin
Reaction score
My vote is XenForo. That's what this forum is using now. I have used many in the past, some free, some paid. vBulletin has lost their touch and IP.B and XenForo I would say are now the leading forum software.

James

Reaction score
This is the first forum I have seen using XenForo, and it looks great. If I ever make a board, I would most definitely use this software.

But from personal experience, I would have to say IPB. I don't like the way the others look.

HyperActive

Reaction score
Xenforo is such a professional look. It's a little expensive, that's why i do not use it. But, i love how this site uses it, congrats to Xassor and Jordan

Fizz

Reaction score
Well XenForo™, compared with vBulletin, has better features to start off with imo, and is a lot easier to navigate and use. But there are some things vBulletin has that sets it apart from XenForo™... It's really hard to say :/

HyperActive

Reaction score
People vote, well not here, but other forums they vote for vBulletin because they haven't seen what xenforo can do, and how magnificent it really is.

tehtros

Reaction score
I have to say that I think XenForo is the best, mostly because I have much experience with both the user interface, as well as the ACP. Overall, it is VERY well designed, and easily customization.

NecroWolf

Reaction score
I must say I like the look of this site as well. I've tried to do a few things I see on here with my phpBB board and a lot of it cannot be done.

iXanon

Reaction score
vBulletin has lost their touch
Agreed, I've used vBulletin since version 2 mid-cycle - and eventually upgraded to version 3 a few months after release, taking much persuasion. I even posted a few modifications along the way, and helped out with the Arcade system development.

I gave up the webmaster role for a few years, and on my return had the choice of vBulletin 4 or XenForo. It was an easy decision.