• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Anyone here played Undertale?

bored_1

Reaction score
www.undertale.com

If you haven't heard of this game yet, I really suggest you guys check it out. It's a pretty short game overall (about 4-5 hours if you're brisk), but it has immense replay value for reasons I can't quite describe without spoiling the game.

It's a serious contender for GOTY in alot of people's eyes. Only $10 too. Great music and writing.

Seriously, check it out.

Anju

Reaction score

After I watched Videogamedunkey I got it. I honestly find it so cute and hilarious, especially the character. Kind of like Charlie Brown but pixel version.
I'm about an hour in, so I don't know what else to expect but so far has been really good. (The puns were great, too. I laughed at them.)

Kaitara

Reaction score
I had no idea this game existed but now I'm going to put it on my Steam wishlist. I think it looks great and very unique. The only problem I have with short games is that I feel so empty after they're over, like, "why isn't there more?"

Ahab

Reaction score
It's on my wishlist on Steam, too. I'll probably play it one day because it sounds like a brilliant concept. I know that it's heavily inspired by Earthbound, a great RPG game for the Super Nintendo. And Earthbound it's one of my favourite games of all time, so I need to check this other game out.

teranoid

Reaction score

After I watched Videogamedunkey I got it. I honestly find it so cute and hilarious, especially the character. Kind of like Charlie Brown but pixel version.
I'm about an hour in, so I don't know what else to expect but so far has been really good. (The puns were great, too. I laughed at them.)
Okay, that made me buy the game too. I'd been holding off on this game because I thought it was a boring indie title from the things I'd seen. I love games with a lot of replay value so I'm looking forward to digging into this soon.

Nehssa

Reaction score

That video is HILARIOUS. I am so glad Dunkey enjoyed that game.

Anyways, Undertale is so amazing. I wish I could erase my memories just for the sake of reliving all the of the emotions and moments I experienced in the game. It is probably one of my favorite games and has one of the best stories. I've recommended this game to all of my friends who are gamers lol.

PingPongCall

Reaction score
I've played the game, I just don't understand the appeal. It's tons of fun and I love the approach to the battle system. It just seems to me, that people are making far to big a deal out of this game. It kind of seems like one of those things that a notable game site said they love, so it blew up from there.

I'm not hating on the game because I really do enjoy it. I simply think that everyone needs to calm down about it.

aliangel3499

Reaction score
immense replay value
In my opinion, the replay value is what makes this game so amazing. However, I am also a fan of the writing/story. There are some moments that are built up so much but are really anticlimactic, there are other moments that just make you face palm, and there are moments that make you hate yourself but they keep you attached to the game and the characters. I did a mostly pacifist run through, but there were still moments that tugged at my heartstrings.

Steamroller

Reaction score
If you liked Undertale you probably would love Planescape Torment. I'm not very fond of Bullet Hell gameplay but I liked this game for the same reasons of Planescape Torment: Characters and storytelling.

The binary moral choice system in Undertale really nailed it in a meaningful way, the usual players feel
that their choices really matter and urge them to question their actions. Although Is a shame most of times you receive only flavour text when you do something different than a previous playthrough. But in those
moments that you do something impactful, the game's reactivity is really exceptional.

In PE Torment you got a more complex and ambitious moral system based on dungeons&dragons's alignment. Also you create a genuine bond with your companions as you do with papyrus, sans, toriel, undyne, asgore, alphys and the rest of monsters.

Give it a chance.

god of war 2

Reaction score
If you liked Undertale you probably would love Planescape Torment. I'm not very fond of Bullet Hell gameplay but I liked this game for the same reasons of Planescape Torment: Characters and storytelling.

The binary moral choice system in Undertale really nailed it in a meaningful way, the usual players feel
that their choices really matter and urge them to question their actions. Although Is a shame most of times you receive only flavour text when you do something different than a previous playthrough. But in those
moments that you do something impactful, the game's reactivity is really exceptional.

In PE Torment you got a more complex and ambitious moral system based on dungeons&dragons's alignment. Also you create a genuine bond with your companions as you do with papyrus, sans, toriel, undyne, asgore, alphys and the rest of monsters.

Give it a chance.
Hear, hear. If you cared about the choices, the morality, the struggle, any of the things that made Undertale great, you'd love Planescape. It takes just a little bit of effort to learn the Infinity Engine and the rules of the game, but they go a long way once you get them down. I've heard the reading in it described as 'torrential' though.

Now you want a niche recommendation, I got Consortium. It's an amazingly well designed piece of work that makes every choice matter. It's terrifying, the amount of replayability in that game.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
I kept seeing people talking about it on the Internet, and the fandom for this game is huuuuge - as you might know. When I keep hearing about something that much usually I lost interest... this time I wanted to give it a try and.. wow. It's truly a beautiful game! It might have a simple graphic, but every single character is enjoyable, the music are awesome, the plot is pretty good and it's full of surprises and secret stuff. And the whole spare mechanics is pure genius.
Truly a masterpiece.