• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Android Game Development

overcast

Reaction score
I have learned how to make app. I also have the YoYoGames game maker. And I have like unfinished games in my library. So I am thinking about what are some of the good games that may sell. Also is it better to use Yoyogames Game maker or is it better to use the Unity C# and the Visual studio? What's your experience with Android game development?

valy

Reaction score
Hi Overcast, congratulation on succeeded to make a game app. This is not easy at all, and I think you must work a lot for this. I think that the best selling games would be the survival games, just look at Minecraft ....it had a lot of success. I think you are a beginner right? I would definitely suggest YoYoGames GameMaker over Unity because you can do lots of stuff with their drag and drop scripting system and each drag and drop block has a code equivalent so over time it will teach you how to completely script your game.

overcast

Reaction score
Hi Overcast, congratulation on succeeded to make a game app. This is not easy at all, and I think you must work a lot for this. I think that the best selling games would be the survival games, just look at Minecraft ....it had a lot of success. I think you are a beginner right? I would definitely suggest YoYoGames GameMaker over Unity because you can do lots of stuff with their drag and drop scripting system and each drag and drop block has a code equivalent so over time it will teach you how to completely script your game.
Minecraft would be too complicated for me at my current level of understanding. I am planning to do something simple. Say something like the developing of the puzzle of some sort. You may find that Android game in that context would be lot harder if used multiplayer level. I may think of using gamemakers so making multiplayer throught that would be harder.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
I still haven't tried it yet but I plan on doing so soon. I don't have my smartphone yet (still trying to save up for it) so I don't plan on making an app before I even buy a phone (because blue stacks can be a pain at times). I'm not too sure about Unity C#, but I think it's better to start with unity, either way, to get familiarized with the engine, so that if you move on to other types of Unity engines (which is commonly used these days), you'll feel at home. Since you want something simple, why not try to make a simple fighting game? I'd rather play those than puzzles, try having special characters dedicated to your friends even :) (It's also what I actually plan to do for my first game LOL).

overcast

Reaction score
Yes, Unity accepts the C#. I have not seen other SDK with languages such as others like say Python and Javascript. I can tell you that it may be easy to start with. I am thinking of using something simple as of now. Lot of options out there which is making things lot complicated. And that's what I wish to know as well.

Referal

Reaction score
Is any of your games still under development or are planning on releasing a few free or paid ones of your games anytime soon since this thread wasn't updated for a year now just wondering @overcast?