• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

3D Modeling

msyukionna

Reaction score
Anyone uses SketchUp regularly for modelling? I guess this program is more useful for building designs more so than character designs but I've seen some amazing project examples out there.

Sketch up is quite a simple 3D modeling program that is easy to understand. It has its frustrating points for professional modelling but it's actually very fun to play with. It uses the simple concept of building points to lines to planes to objects, which is quite easy to follow.

I've used Google SketchUp for architecture projects that are at their development/idea phase. It's a great program that is portable and does not use up too much resources on the computer - you can even save it into a thumb drive.

If I'm not mistaken, SketchUp Make is free to download and use. What are your thoughts about this program compared to other modelling software?

overcast

Reaction score
I never used sketchup. I had experience with blender and the sketchboook pro. But never used the sketchup. So that's one of the program that seems to be in my list for learning. Thanks a lot for dropping the link at the end. I may take a look and use the system for the same. I can tell you it seems like a good program.

valy

Reaction score
I never used sketchup, i use Blender because i downloaded for free and is working on Windows, Mac and Linux. The truth is that Blender is a bit hard to use and you must be a pro in this, because Blender includes sculpting capabilities and modifiers to help you repair meshes.
Another 3D modeling program that is most suited for a beginner would be 3DSlash, is similar to Minecraft!

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
SketchUp and Blender are the only programs I've used for 3D modeling, and although I'm not very experienced with them, I still gave them a shot for a couple of months.
As you mentioned, SketchUp is great for architecture projects, but not much else, I'm afraid. Everything from the tools to the libraries to the tutorials seem to lean towards the technical side, but coming up with more complex models might be complicated, especially because of the lack of variety in materials and lighting effects.
Blender is the complete opposite. It's exactly what it feels like: an open-source alternative to software of the likes of 3DMax and Maya. It's complex and it takes a lot of time to learn all the options (I stopped before long, unfortunately), but you can't expect a program with the potential to make professional-looking models to be easy to pick up.

jay solano

Reaction score
I'd used sketchup and 3ds max when I was in college for thesis. I can't even believed that I can't create an unimaginable stuff, like recreating our school campus, as our base start-up sequence for our thesis. When time pass by, the outcome goes quiet well, it had accepted by our mentors and advisors. They even recommend to a large-scale real project base.

The only thing makes me in pain was visualizing the target was more difficult than expected, sometimes it will not right. So, I do enjoying 3d modeling, like the rest of my classmate saw us and inspired them.

Fallenpyro418 (Sparks)

Community Supervisor
Community Supervisor
Administrator
Reaction score
I've been interested in modeling and making custom skins for a long time but never had the skill to put out anything good. I've tried a couple of times to no avail. I'm always interested in watching others however.

zdeathclock

HOI4 Player
Senior Admin
Reaction score
I have done some modeling in inventor for a CAD class and I had a ton of fun with it, granted it always took me so long to be able to make anything cause I tried so hard to pay attention to detail. I think making a 3-D model takes some skill but being able to animate it past what was made is WAY more difficult.

Gray

Gray
Retired Staff
Reaction score
In my tech class, we've learned how to do some 2D work and are learning how to do animation... Once we do that, hopefully I'll be able to learn some 3D modelling which is something I've always wanted to try out!

Brandon

Admin
Administrator
Premium
Reaction score
I've tried it in the past for college but I never liked all the small details that you had to put in your creation.